Contact Virtual Service Schedule
1service
2details
3customer
4returning
5schedule
  • We Do Things Right The First Time

The Truth About Carbon Monoxide

Google Rating
4.9
Based on 484 reviews

FB Blogs (6)

Tasteless, colorless, odorless, carbon monoxide (CO) is produced by almost every fuel-burning appliance, including furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces, grills and gas space heaters. When something goes wrong with the equipment or the venting, CO becomes one of America’s most deadly household hazards.

Here are 5 things every homeowner should know about CO and how to guard against it causing a tragedy in your home.

1) Headache, dizziness, nausea, weakness, sleepiness, and disorientation are all symptoms of CO poisoning, though a victim may not experience everyone. Unfortunately, these same symptoms are associated with flu, food poisoning, and other afflictions, leading to many misdiagnoses. A cherry red face is a possible sign of CO poisoning.

2) For healthy adults, CO becomes toxic when it reaches a level higher than 35 ppm (parts per million) with continuous exposure over an 8-hour period. This is the maximum exposure tolerated by OSHA.

3) If anyone in your home is experiencing signs of CO poisoning symptoms, vacate the home immediately and notify your local fire or police department. Don’t just open doors and windows because that makes it hard for authorities to determine whether there is a CO problem when they inspect the home.

4) The best place to install CO detectors is outside of bedrooms where family members sleep. The greatest danger from CO occurs when people are asleep and unable to detect any of the symptoms. Installing a detector near a furnace, water heater, or other CO-emitting appliance will likely result in many false alarms.

5) Broken or blocked vents and flues are probably the most common cause of CO buildup. If you see any holes or disconnections or rust stains indicating corrosion, call us immediately. Be sure to put a guard on top of rooftop vents to prevent birds’ nests or other debris from falling into the chimney and blocking the escape of harmful gases.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, Carbon monoxide kills an average of 374 people each year. Nobody thinks about carbon monoxide poisoning in their homes until it’s too late. A carbon monoxide detector could be the peace of mind you need. Make sure you invest in the right one! Some of the cheaper models don’t detect lower amounts of carbon monoxide which could affect your health or your life.

Ask the Comfort Certified Experts at Western Heating & Air Conditioning about the carbon monoxide detectors we recommend, and even install in our own homes. Call 801-477-5917 or visit www.TimeForComfort.com today.

» «
Grateful To Our Clients Thank You Utah!
Courtenay Stevens
Courtenay Stevens
20:36 23 Feb 22
Tyler and Carter were efficient, helpful, and courteous. They walked us through our new system and explained everything so we could use and maintain the system after they left. Great experience!
Forrest Hale
Forrest Hale
17:26 04 Feb 22
Devante did a good job. I would recommend him.
JB Graham
JB Graham
21:00 03 Feb 22
Brady and LT (and the entire Western Heating & Air Team) have been amazing through a less than ideal scenario. Our outdoor unit with our ductless system was having issues and completely went down on two occasions. Once they figured out the issue, they got a warranty claim in process and quickly got the new unit installed (Brady and LT are true professionals and pros at what they do). Our family feels in good hands with Western Heating and Air, and appreciate all the compassion and hard work to help us through this less than ideal scenario with the problems we had with the outdoor unit. THANK YOU!
Schedule Now Text Us Now